Tired of Calling This the “New Normal?”
Tired of calling this the “new normal?” Yeah, me too! But, alas here we are. A new normal for our lives, business and the hours in between. In almost every corner of the world, you have been in “shelter at home” for at least a week if not longer. You may be teaching virtually, struggling to teach virtually, feeling grief, depression, anxiety or worry. All are normal. But, at its integral for your mental health and future that you find a way to move through these feelings and get proactive. Here are 5 ways to use this time to more than “get through” this time. You could even grow!
Use This Time to Grow
Books: I know reading isn’t a very unique use of time but let’s get super honest. When’s the last time you had the time to read for business or pleasure? Ok, that’s what I thought. Here are some books that I have always promoted and a few new ones I am loving.
- Traction– a biz book but super great for right now. Basically learn how to do a 1-page business plan that helps you know what to do when to do it and even how to hire to make it happen.
- Inquire Within– a spoken word poetry book that will get you thinking.
- Braving the Wilderness– Brene Brown is epic and while this book came out a couple of years ago its thesis is as important now as ever. We must be out there listening, and bring communities together.
- Building a Story Brand– I tell everyone I coach or who is in AGENCY to read this book and follow the steps.
- The 4 Agreements– even if you’ve read it. Re-read it! It’s that good!
E-learning: Now is the time to take that course you’ve signed up for, to get ahead in your online CEC’s. To learn something new. Maybe you want to hand letter or learn how to write a good blog! Pick something and put time in your calendar to login and press play.
- Skillshare: I’m not affiliated with them but I’ve heard amazing things. You can learn animation, or how to write business info! Why not? They’ve got a free trial and you’ve got at least another month so what if you binged out on that trial?
- Pilates Business courses: shameful plug but seriously, you’ve said you wanted to learn how to write a newsletter or blog or finally get your website together. We have tons of courses including how to teach multi-level classes, doing video, virtual teaching and more.
- Chris Harders Money Course: Chris and his wife Lori are biz coaches for Brad and I and they are having a sale on his money mindset course. If you’ve got money mindset issues (aka you think you don’t have any or can’t) take this course.
Podcasts: I’m obsessed with podcasts but during this time I have intentionally looked up some podcasts that help me focus on the future or make me laugh.
- Staying In
- For the Love of Money
- Earn Your Happy
- Oprah Super Soul Sundays (I mean we all need a little Oprah)
- Lovett or Leavit (political comedy)
- Hall of Shame (sports but funny AF)
- Hysteria (female lead political and life commentary podcast)
Workout! : You want your clients to go virtual. You should too! What if you got out of this “time” in better health than you went in it? I swear I’m feeling as in shape as when I was in “the work” with Jay Grimes and my original apprenticeship!
- Schedule facetime workouts with friends. Catch up and workout together at the same time.
- Online Pilates Classes: another shameful plug but hey you get online community with this one too! Also, of course my friends at PilatesAnytime.com you get 30 days free with LLOGAN.
- Live Pop Ups: if accountability is what you need join me for a live pop up and stay for the virtual community hang.
- Try new workouts online. Maybe you do a virtual couch to 5k, 30-day challenge with a barre, hit or fitness instructor.
- Go for a walk! Wear a mask but get your move one. I’m aiming for 12-15k steps a day!
Goal Set: I know it’s hard to think about the future when we don’t know how long this will last. But, the truth is if you’re healthy, you should be using this time to think about what you want to be doing when this is over. Was there something on your list for “when you had time?” If you’re out of work but can’t file for one of the government loans or unemployment what can you do now to never be in this situation again?
It’s easy to think “why is this happening to me?” But, after week 2 or 3 of being in this “new normal,’ your clients and future clients need you to show up. They need you to step up. They need you to be a keystone in their ground-hog day.
Maybe you were teaching group classes all over town but you wish you had a home studio? Now is the time to snag some equipment from studios that might have extra. Maybe you own a studio but have always wished to work from home? Now is the time to figure out your options for downsizing. Maybe you always wanted to have more people in a class but your space only allowed for 4 people. Now is the time to sell out your virtual classes so in the future you can have people who are in person and people who are virtual. Oh yeah, Pilates, Pelaton style!
Whatever you decide to do with your time remember things can happen to you, for you or with you. I got that from one of my AGENCY members Instagrams. I like to think that everything, even the “bad” things are happening for me. And, as long as we are healthy and able to dream we better dream big and take action.
So, what will you do with this time?