Fancy Reward Systems
We already know I am a big fan of my hairdresser. While so many of my referrals continue to see her on a very regular basis (often more than I), they are not all shouting from the rooftops about how amazing she is. Why is that? Your clients love you or they wouldn’t come back week after week, package after package. So, what makes some shout and others zip up?
Well, that’s a unique question and not one with a singular answer. I know, probably not what you were hoping I would say. But, the truth is that some people are just more outgoing than others. Some are just more vocal than others and some love the idea of others enjoying what they are enjoying.
It goes without saying that you need to keep track of your top referrers. Rewarding them for spreading the great news about you is important.
I am not talking about just monetary rewards. Often a big, “Thank you, you’re amazing,” can go a long way. Knowing who your refers are doesn’t mean you’re giving a better session to them than to those who don’t give out your info to everyone they meet. But, they credit you for how good they feel and look, so you just need to have a system in place to show them you appreciate their plaudits.
There are many fancy reward systems out there (stay tuned for blog 4). Your studio can go big with a reward system that gets them points, free classes, workshops, and products. You can go simple and give them a gift of a class or a discount on their next package. My hairdresser has a 20/20 plan. Anyone who goes in using my name gets 20% off and I get 20% off my next visit. The decision is yours and not one you have to cement in stone.
Identify Who Your Ambassadors Are
To figure out if you have a studio or schedule full of clients who would love some kickbacks for their good behavior, let’s first identify who your ambassadors are:
- Intake Forms: You probably already ask clients how they heard about you and or your studio. Don’t just ask and make a mental note. Create a system or sheet to tally up where and how people are finding you. Is it mostly the internet? In person referrals? A chiropractor down the street? Keep track!
- Listen In: Often clients tell us, “I just told my neighbor she has to come see you!” Or, “I was in line at the coffee shop and someone complimented me. I told them you have to come check out your studio.” Of course during a session you might just give a thank you and continue moving on, but make a note to follow up with that client about the friend they referred after the session. You can offer to contact the friend yourself and invite her/him in. Or, you can remind your client of your rewards program.
- Party On: Have a plus-one celebration. A Pilates-athon. And the cost to get in is 1 friend or family member in tow. Many people get referred to try Pilates and often are just too scared to do it on their own. So, BYOF to Pilates and both enjoy a class together!
After doing these things or variations of them, it’s time to take a look at your tallies. Whose sending your business? Is it all of your clients equally? One or two here and there? Is it the Web? Once you know who or whom your top referrers are, you can reward and thank accordingly!
You may find that all of your clients enjoy you, they are regulars and never miss. But, maybe none of them are big ambassadors. Sure, if someone asks them if they do Pilates they will mention you, but if someone isn’t directly requesting the info they may just smile and nod. That’s ok! Again, they still love you. You just have to make it super easy for them to spread the good word.
Share All the Great News
Make referring your business easy by:
- Friend your clients on Social Media (see blog 1.) This allows them to “check in” or “tag” you in a post. Their friends will see how often they are with you. When they are ready to check you out all they have to do is click on your name.
- Make it easy for your clients to leave a review of you by emailing them the link to your reviews page. Asking them for reviews is absolutely appropriate. But remember, after your client leaves and makes it home, their mail has piled up, laundry needs to be folded and dinner must be made. They get distracted by so many things. Remembering to review you is one thing, but having to do extra work to find you and review you is another. Send them the links they need.
- Send your clients newsletters and class updates that are super easy to share with others. Write it with the future client in mind and send away asking for them to pass it along.
Your clients want you to be successful. They want you to grow. They have things to do to though. Making it easy for them to share all the great news about you will allow them to share the love and still do the things on their to-do list. Don’t forget to keep track of who is sharing the good word. Knowing your ambassadors is integral to getting the referrals. You can reward those who are and also dig a well where there is little water.
Take some time during the next couple of months to identify your ambassadors. The next blog will have reward tips and ideas for those of you ready to take the referral business to the next level!