Recently I saw a question by a very brand new instructor who was struggling to find continuing education to further her Pilates teacher training. And, it wasn’t the first time I come across this concern. In fact, I remember when I first became a Pilates instructor I knew I had a lot more to learn. I was hungry to learn it too. And, at the time searching for continuing education was not as easy as it is today. But, still, as lucky as we are to have so many ways to find out about continuing education it still is hard to know which workshops to choose! And, when to keep take a workshop or practice what you already know.
I actually, do wish there could be a one-stop hub for all continuing education for Pilates instructors. Wouldn’t that be amazing!? So, if in my list below I missed a really good hot spot of info please let me know in the comments and I will happily add it. But, before I go into the list of where to go for continuing education here are a few tips in helping you choose which workshops to sign up for:
- Choose workshops that relate to clients you currently have. If you only teach men signing up for a pre/postnatal workshop while informative won’t help you deepen the practice of your existing client base.
- Find workshops that sound interesting to you or will help your personal practice. If you are inspired you’ll continue to inspire your clients
- If you have the equipment at your ready or you are thinking of ordering a particular piece of equipment take the training and make sure you really want it before investing.
- Sessions go a long way! You can learn a lot by taking Pilates sessions from an instructor who has been teaching longer than you. I know for me I have had many eye-opening, a-ha moments in a session!
- If a teacher inspires you try to take consistent sessions with them. Or, if that’s not possible find out where they have workshops. You may have to travel to them. How fun!
Ok, here are some ideas and places you can continue to learn more about this amazing method we get to teach!
- Pilates Method Alliance posts workshops that offer CEC’s
- Pilates Anytime has online workshops. While not the same as being in person it does allow you to learn from so many teachers and then if you find one that really speaks to you look at their upcoming workshops!
- Pilates On Tour: Balanced Body hosts some amazing conferences all over the world!
- Social Media: While I am not a massive fan of sending anyone to forums to search for workshops because it can be like searching for a needle in a haystack or opposite being inundated with options. There are some forums that are only for posting workshops like Unpoliced Pilates Education and Training while others have specific rules about posting. But, you may find a forum that is for teachers in your region and that might yield some local workshops. You can also check out your favorite teachers on Instagram. If you are following the teachers that light your fire and challenge your thinking and teaching you will see lots of what they have to offer. Or use IG to find a teacher and then get on their mailing list! This way you are not at the mercy of the algorithms
- Do a google search. But, please do your research. Ask questions. Make sure the workshop is going to cover something you need.
There are so many other ways I find workshops! So, if you want more ideas contact me here or comment below. I do recommend getting out of your local space from time to time so that you are not waiting for a workshop to come to town. Seek out the knowledge you desire! Or, hire it in your space! Lots of teachers will travel their workshops. I know I do! So, if you are tired of waiting for a workshop to come around your way call that teacher and see how you can host.
There is so much to learn about the Pilates method. And, honestly, we can’t really know everything there is to know. But, we can know a lot more than we get in our first training. Never stop learning my friends and you will always be inspired.
What is the next workshop you are going to?
PS side note: please remember my tips for choosing a workshop. It is easy to get on a workshop kick and go to every single workshop that you hear of. But, sometimes that means not having the time to absorb or try out the lessons you learned from the last one. Just like you do quality of reps and not a quantity of reps in Pilates keep that in your mind’s eye for taking workshops.