So, you need Pilates instructors for your studio? You have clients who need a teacher, classes that need a sub and you need a break! But, how do you hire for your studio? Where do you find the right teachers? Is there a hub where all the instructors are hanging out?
When I was hiring for Pilates studios one thing I learned is that I was always looking for the best teachers to work at my space. Because you never know when you are going to find the right fit! But how do you keep an eye out for the right teachers constantly? Hint: You don’t just post an ad and hope for the best.
- Network within the Pilates community in your area: If you are cool with the other studios then if they pass on a teacher they can refer that teacher to you!
- Know the teacher training programs in your area: Make friends with the teacher trainers and let them know you are a space that has positions for new teachers if the Pilates shoes fit!
- Be Clear on your Goals and Expectations: If you know what the vision is for your studio it makes it easier to know who to hire and who to pass. Setting expectations and sharing them with potential new hires also makes it easier for you to hold employees accountable and allows the instructor to decide if you are the right fit for them as well.
- Take classes and sessions around town: No, I do not mean “poach.” But, rather introduce yourself and let the owner and manager know who you are. Then go back to the notes for #1.
Finally, and this I cannot say this enough, hire slow and fire fast! Take your time hiring. I know, you need a teacher, I know you needed the teacher yesterday! But, if you hire the wrong teacher for your space you’ll end up having to do extra work. Instead, hire someone whose goals align with your goals and hold yourself and your team accountable to the expectations and goals of your studio. It’ll pay off in the long run!
Latest posts by Lesley Logan (see all)
- Notes 2 Inspire: Some Meetings are Just For a Moment - May 23, 2019
- How to Manage Teachers in Your Studio and Not Go Crazy - May 20, 2019
- Notes 2 Inspire: What Are You NOT Doing? - May 16, 2019